Friday, August 14, 2009

Make The Pie Bigger

Shortly after starting the private practice of law, I set my goal on becoming a partner in a large, regional law firm. One day, I asked a senior partner, "What does it take to become a partner in this firm?" I will never forget the answer. Without hesitation, she said, "You have to make the pie bigger. You have to become a rainmaker."

None of my law school professors ever talked about rainmaking, and I received NO instruction on developing a client base.

I talked to my older friends who were insurance agents, stockbrokers, accountants and junior executives, and I asked them what they knew about rainmaking. Suprisingly, most were familiar with the concept, but few knew how to make it happen. Soon I realized that I was not alone. For most young professionals, developing business is a sink or swim proposition.

I looked for books on the subject, but couldn't find anything that applied to someone just starting out. I wanted to know the little tips and tricks that separated the great Rainmakers from everyone else. It was at this time, more than eighteen years ago, that I conceived the idea of writing a book on the subject. Over the years I observed great Rainmakers and recorded their best practices. That information is now captured in my book, RAINMAKING 101.

Since the book was published, I have spoken to numerous groups on the subject of rainmaking. After each presentation, it seems that an audience member shares a little tip that they have learned. Instead of writing a sequel to Rainmaking 101, I have decided to share these tips and other ideas about client development through this blog.

I hope that you enjoy it and find it helpful. Please feel free to share any tips and tricks that you have learned along the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment